The History of Malta’s Wrecks
|HMS Maori||Tribal Class Destroyer||1937||115m||1942||10m-14m||Shore|
|SS Margit||Passenger Ship||1912||105.5m||1941||21m||Shore|
|Lockeed P2V Neptune||Recon Aircraft||–||24m||1957||30m||Boat|
|Um El Faroud||Tanker||1969||109.4m||1998||16m-35m||Shore|
|Bristol Beaufighter||Fighter Aircraft||1939||13m||1943||38m||Boat|
|Italian E-Boat||Torpedo Boat||–||32.7m||–||40m||Boat|
|De Havilland Mosquito||Fighter Bombet Aircraft||–||13.6m||1949||40m||Boat|
|HMS Hellespont||Paddle Steamer||1910||46m||1942||42m||Boat|
|Bristol Blenheim||Bomber Aircraft||1937||13m||1941||42m||Boat|
|Le Polynesien||Passenger Ship||1890||152m||1918||45m-65m||Boat|
|HMS Stubborn||S Class Submarine||1942||66m||1946||50m-57m||Boat|
|HMS St. Angelo||Tugboat||1935||24m||1942||54m||Boat|
|CS Levant II||Cable Layer||1904||42.2m||1952||55m-59m||Boat|
|HM Drifter Eddy||Minesweeper||1918||27m||1942||56m||Boat|
|Junkers JU88||Bomber Aircraft||–||–||–||57m||Boat|
|Fairey Swordfish||Biplane Aircraft||–||–||1934||65m||Boat|
|Schnellboot S31||Torpedo Boat||1939||32.7m||1942||66m-70m||Boat|
|HMS Nasturtium||Flower Class Minsweeper||1915||81.6m||1916||67m||Boat|
|HMS Southwold||Hunt Class Destroyer||1941||86m||1942||68m-73m||Boat|
|HMD Trusty Star||Minesweeper||1919||26m||1942||90m||Boat|
|ORP Kujawiak||Hunt Class Destroyer||1940||85m||1942||97m||Boat|
|MV King Edwin||Cargo Ship||1927||122m||1943||112m||Boat|
|HMS Russell||Duncan Class Battleship||1902||140m||1916||115m||Boat|
|HMS Olympus||Odin Class Submarine||1928||86.5m||1942||115m||Boat|
6th May 2020
The Pippo is an 18m long concrete hulled workboat built in Malta in 1976. Initially the project of Vella Boat Yard of Marsa, at it’s early stages of completion the project was taken over by the late Philp Formosa who completed the building of the boat. The boat was used as a work boat and for surveys.
The boat was sold to Azzopardi Fisheries and used in the tuna farming industry until such time in October 2004 that on a voyage from Comino to Malta the vessel started taking in water and sank east of Mellieha Bay at a depth of 37 metres.
The dive is limited to the wreck as around it the bottom is just sand. It is an easy dive but as there is not much to see the dive time tends to be short.
5th May 2020
The MV Scotscraig was built for the Dundee Harbour Trust to be used for the Dundee to Newport ferry crossing. The contract price for building the ferry was reported to be £152,450.
The Scotscraig was the fourth Caledon built ferry for the River Tay crossing, the others being the Newport II in 1910, William High (later the Sir William High) in 1924 and then the B L Nairn in 1929. The ferry was launched on 23rd May 1951 by Mrs F J D Buist who was the wife of the Convenor of the Tay Ferries.
They were in daily use, leaving Dundee and Newport at the hour and half past the hour throughout the day. The last ferry from Dundee was 10pm whilst the last ferry from Newport was 10.30 pm – 2 vessels overnighting in Dundee.The crossing itself took approximately 20 minutes, with 10 minutes allowed for embarking/disembarking. You could set your watches by the movements of those ferries
The last two Tay ferries the Abercraig (1939 ) and Scotscraig (1951 ) were twin screw diesels but also had an innovative feature that of Voith – Schneider propellers which though highly successful elsewhere did seem to cause spare part and reliability problems on the Tay with the result that after the withdrawal of Sir William High in 1951 the remaining steam paddler B L Nairn nominally spare boat seemed in fact to take quite a substantial share in the crossings right up to the opening of the Tay road bridge in 1966.
After the road was opened the Scotsgraig was sold off to Malta where little is known about what she did but what is sure after the filming of the movie Popeye 1980’s, she was on tow to new location and took on water in bad weather broke her tow lines and sank.
Now sitting in 21 meters of water upright and fully intact even the toilets and urinals are still in place, you can still get into the lower decks.